#IlkleyHalf is organised and delivered by Ilkley and District Round Table (IRT).
“Who are heck are IRT?” I hear you cry!
Most people have a perception of Round Table as a bit of a secret society. They hear the name Round Table and immediately think that it’s a closed club and that its activities are perhaps a little shady. We, the members, would like to reassure you that IRT is anything but. We’re a registered charity and our members are men up to the age of 45. We share a few key characteristics:
- We want to help the local community
- We like to socialise and build friendships
- We need as many excuses as possible to get out and about, normally dressed as superheroes for Children in Need or organising community events such as #IlkleyHalf and The Ilkley Beer Festival
To help the local community in which we live, we raise money. Our main fundraising events of the calendar year are:
- The Ilkley Beer Festival, set up over ten years’ ago, serving thousands of pints and pies to over 2000 punters over the course of a chilly February weekend.
- The #IlkleyHalf, which we hope will grow in size and scale over the coming year (thanks for your support).
- Children In Need, where we get to don our favourite costumes, and collect your spare change for one day a year.
- Santa Float, bringing the actual Santa Clause and loud, intrusive Christmas classics to the streets of Ilkley and Addingham across 5 nights in December.
We anticipate raising nearly £100,000 a year from these four events. We invite applications from any organisations that need financial support before re-distributing the money to people who really need it (check out a list of who we’ve helped below!).
But wait! Before you think it’s all about raising money…
We have fun doing it too. We get together every month and we take time as friends to go out together and wind down. Some of the highlights of our social calendar are:
- The Annual International Trip – Private yachts in Palma (2018) and amazing sights and food in Alicante (2017) in the past two years
- The York Pub Crawl – Trying our best to experience the best pubs that York can offer whilst attempting to get the last train back to Ilkley
- Hike to Hag Dyke – Getting out of town and experiencing the wilds of the Yorkshire Dales
The great thing about IRT is that it can be as much or as little as you want it to be. There’s no obligation to take part in everything – we just encourage people to enjoy their time and give something back to the community in which they reside.
If you’re male, aged between 18 and 44 and you’d like to find out more about being a part of IRT, please contact us at email@example.com and maybe, just maybe, next year you’ll be helping us organise #IlkleyHalf rather than running in it!